Follow these tips to help your recovery go smoother and promote healthy healing:
- Give yourself time to heal – The less trauma the surgery site endures, the faster and better the healing process. Avoid disturbing the surgery area during healing. For the first few days after surgery, a mostly liquid diet and soft foods are advised. Try not to spit, as this can restart bleeding and could lead to infection. Do not eat hard or tough foods in the first few days since they may disturb the implant site.
- Good oral hygiene is critical – Wait about 24 hours after the surgery before going back to brushing and flossing your teeth. When you do resume your oral care, make sure to avoid the area of the dental implants. Rinse the implant area with a warm salt solution to clean out food debris. Put about half a teaspoon of salt in a cup of warm water to make the rinsing solution. Use this three times a day or after every meal.
- Use OTC pain relievers for pain – Your implant surgery may cause minimal discomfort. You can use Tylenol or ibuprofen to manage your pain. If OTC remedies are ineffective, talk to your dentist about stronger medication. Be advised that prescription meds may leave you feeling groggy for a few hours. Driving or other activities that require alertness should be avoided while you are on such medication. You may need someone to help you in the first few hours after surgery. You can expect daily improvement.
- Make temporary diet changes - For optimum healing after surgery, your diet should consist of soft foods and nutritious fluids. Take advantage of milkshakes, protein drinks and smoothies now. You may crave solid foods, so stick with those that are soft in texture. Be sure to avoid chewing around the implant site. You will also want to keep your foods and beverages at a moderate temperature.
- Swelling is to be expected – Most patients experience some swelling after surgery. You can use icepacks to keep the swelling down. Most swelling will resolve on its own.
Dental implants are a great investment in your oral health. They help you maintain a beautiful smile while keeping your bone structure healthy and strong. Take good care of your implants, and they will last a very long time.
If you have questions about dental implants or would like more information, contact Ora Dentistry. Dr. Dalla is happy to answer your questions and provide a consultation. Schedule your appointment with us today.